Sunday, January 27, 2013

Paper Flowers, Book Pages??!!! What??? NO!!!


So once upon a time there was this craze, it was crafting with book pages. Ok so that statement kind of hurts my ears. Tearing pages out of a book??!!! Not that I haven't seen parties and gathering with really creative decorations and ideas all using book pages but I just didn't think I could do it, until......... My Grandmas house. I found a book in their shed under a skyscraper of spiders and their webs, laying in a stale puddle of water, torn in half. There it was that book that I just might be able to craft with. Wait though not until I tried every possible technique to salvage this book. I was unsuccessful in saving the book. Out of the over 500 pages I was able to sentence about 50 pages to doom for my use. After lots of thought and consideration of how I was going to use these precious pages I decided paper flowers. Beautiful paper flowers that the words on these pages could live forever.....aw so sentimental. After the first agonizing scissor cut through the page I became desensitized and in my own world of creation I cut, rolled, shaped and glued all the pages into my lively flowers. (saving every scrap for future use) I had a leftover branch from our Halloween party that I had about 20 visions for prior to this idea but this time I was going to use it! This was its purpose :)
 
I messy cut in a circle all the way in a circle to the middle you can also cut in a spiral with no mess. The one on the left is the clean edge spiral cut the one on the right is a messy cut. I did all mine free hand with scissors :) I put an X on what I refer to as the glue tab (you can barely see the X but it's there :) 
 
Book pages measuring approximately 6"x10"
 



Some pages I cut in half and made two flowers per a page other pages I got one flower out of it.
 

Here's how I did it..............
 





I started at the outside of the circle I cut where the point was and rolled the paper until I got to the center









 
 
 

I gently let go of the rolled paper holding it in place with my hand until I liked the shape 

I put a dot of glue on the "tab" that was the center of the circle 
 
 

And wham my paper flowers.......from a book :)
When I glued the flowers onto the branch I used that same glue tab to wrap the flower on the branch to hold the paper flower in place
*TIP I used my high temperature glue gun, going back I would have used a low temperature one to keep the glue from dripping 
 
It's going in my stair well when I'm done!!! (to hang out with Casper)

1 comment: